Samsung HL-S5687W ballast board

Got a problem with a projector? A DLP or LCD projector can have common issues. Why don't you check this forum out before running out to buy a brand new projector?

Moderator: Angel

Forum rules
Replica101

Samsung HL-S5687W ballast board

Postby Replica101 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi all. New to the forum, really hoping that someone will be able to help out. I bought an old Samsung DLP for my kids to use for video games and such. I've always loved DLP TV's, and this one is huge :-) The guy I bought it from sold it to me with a brand new lamp, and but there is a problem with the connecting wires from the lamp to the ballast (that is my opinion, anyway!). Here is a picture of the problem area:

http://postimg.org/image/p3ygv3yuf/

So my question is, rather that replacing the whole ballast board, can I just buy those connecting wires and replace them? Or should I assume that the whole ballast board is screwed and replace it all? What could have caused something like this - it looks as though it's melted. I'm trying to do this repair as cheap as possible, since it's "just" for the kids!

Here's the model number: HL-S5687W, I believe the part number of the ballast is BP47-00037A - but like I said, I would rather just replace those two connectors if possible.

Let me know if you have any advice. Thanks!

ChubbsTech
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

Re: Samsung HL-S5687W ballast board

Postby ChubbsTech » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Hello,

The cause more likely was a bad connection between the ballast and the lamp housing. It's possible that they didn't connect fully. The gap in the plug leads to an arch of about 20,000 volts which causes the melting of connectors. I recommend replacing the entire ballast as you might not be able to find the connectors that come from the ballast. If you find the connectors you need and feel comfortable with soldering these in place then you might get away with just replacing the connectors. Other than that a new ballast would be the way to go.

Regards,
Remember Knowing Is Half The Battle !

Return to “Projectors”